Saturday, February 18, 2012

Galatians Week 2

I've often wondered how anyone could read Galatians 3:26-29 "So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise" and still believe that God holds some groups of people in higher regard. How does the belief that women are not qualified to minister in the church stack up with what Paul said? How does the belief that the Jews are still God's "chosen people" stack up with that? Too much of the church is still functioning out of tradition, even when it plainly contradicts the Word.

Jonathan and I were talking this afternoon about how all of the major religions of the world consider women to be inferior to men in some respect. Only in Christianity are all considered equal. The only problem is, many Christians don't believe what the Word says about that. We are more comfortable with our traditions.

I pray that any traditions I am clinging to that contradict the Word of God would be revealed. Lord, let me cling to your Word and Blood of Jesus. Those are eternal; traditions are temporary. Amen

2 comments:

  1. 1st, forgive my writing errors LOL This is just one big paragraph!! LOL

    Being raised Baptist, I WAS one of those that believed a woman should not teach men or preach at all! You are so right about "traditions". I learned that my beliefs about this subject had actually been acquired through "tradition" and not the WORD of GOD. I must admit, it took some time to change my way of "thinking". Although, God's WORD revealed the truth to me and I believed differently, I still had that traditional way of thinking that had to be dealt with. I am happy to say that I no longer have "issues" with that subject... hahaha It's amazing how many of God's truths we bend and twist to fit our circumstances in life or our traditional ways of thinking.... God forgive me; forgive us.

    By the way, Steve and I really enjoyed your "neither Jew nor Gentile, slave nor free, neither male nor female" cermon yesterday!! We love all of you and are so thankful that God led us to Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good you've changed your way of thinking about women in the pulpit, because I think you're headed that way yourself! Isn't God good?

      Delete