Saturday, February 11, 2012

Galatians Week 1

One of the things that has struck me this week in the study is Paul's disregard for title or reputation. In chapter 2 verse 6 he says, " As for those who were held in high esteem—whatever they were makes no difference to me; God does not show favoritism—they added nothing to my message." He was not impressed with titles or positions. He was not impressed with those who were popular. Paul was impressed with one thing: TRUTH. In chapter 1, verses 7 and 8 he says, "Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God’s curse!" No matter who is doing the teaching, if it is not TRUTH, we cannot accept it.

I think that we are still in danger of this on so many levels in our society that is so "celebrity" conscious. Even in the church we have those whose celebrity makes them seem infallible to many. Although we must respect those in authority such as elders and pastors, and although we may greatly admire others for their great preaching and teaching ability, we cannot quit testing everything we hear by the TRUTH of the Word of God. That is only one of the many reasons why we need to study and know the Word.

I'll finish with Paul's rhetorical question and answer from chapter 1:10 "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." While we all like to be liked by others, we cannot compromise the Word to please others. God help me to have the passion for the purity of Your Word as Paul did. Amen

4 comments:

  1. I think we are "offically" blogging now... hahahaha I did see my messages and your reply. I need to slow down on my Galations study; I'm almost to week 3. When I get started, it's like a good book, hard to put down. (It is the "GOOD BOOK"!! but you know what I mean LOL. Have a blessed week and some great "alone time"! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--I enjoyed "suiting myself" on the drive home from Dallas today. A girl needs a little time to herself every once in a while. Just a little. :)

      Delete
  2. I reposted the last paragraph to my facebook status. Hope you don't mind....to late if you do hahahahaha. I guess I should have asked first, huh??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything on a blog is "up for grabs" as far as I'm concerned. It's all out there for the public to see!!

      Delete